1. Steph
    Steph March 11, 2014 at 10:59 am | | Reply

I’ve actually come close to being stepped on by an elephant. Because kids are idiots and we climbed a fence at the zoo. I honestly don’t know how I ever thought that was a good idea.

2. bethteliho
    bethteliho March 11, 2014 at 2:02 pm | | Reply

Oh my friend. Wow. I can’t imagine a body cast! You were so much braver and stronger at that age than I could’ve ever been! I’m so happy the school nurse found it and you were able to get the surgery to fix it. Please excuse my naïve question, but how does this effect you now? Can you bend and move freely? Do you have any pain, or daily medications?

amazing story. Thanks for sharing!

3. bethteliho
    bethteliho March 11, 2014 at 2:03 pm | | Reply

OH, and btw, TOTALLY acceptable to lie under those circumstances!! I love the stories you came up with – hahaha!

maurnas March 12, 2014 at 6:15 am | | Reply

I think if a total stranger if being nosy and rude it is fine to say any crazy shit to them. People need to mind their own business. They actually thought I had scoliosis when I was in middle school. But I guess I don’t? I think we went to a specialist and that was the last I heard about it. Maybe we just couldn’t afford the treatment. At any rate, I’m sure I would have noticed some ill effects by this point.

5. cellulitelooksbettertan
    cellulitelooksbettertan March 12, 2014 at 9:16 am | | Reply

I have always come up with elaborate tales for mundane things. I love your stories that you told. I have a small case of scoliosis, nothing even slightly resembling yours, but my left side is slightly higher than my right. I’m not symmetrical, but oh well. I had to be in a wheelchair my first and second semester of college. I know the stares and the stories. Good post!!!!

6. Alonna
    Alonna March 12, 2014 at 2:40 pm | | Reply

I can confirm the accident story. The guy who hit us ran over to our vehicle, saw Jana in a full body cast, and almost had a heart-attack on the spot! As did the cop, if I remember right, which is probably why he agreed to give Jana and I a ride to school after the VW got towed. 🙂

Aussa Lorens March 12, 2014 at 8:48 pm | | Reply

That’s excellent, I love that you told people you were stepped on by an elephant. I think there is an omission when you’re lying to rescue yourself from people’s inappropriate behavior. I’ve read that somewhere, just after the Golden Rule I think.