Roxie April 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm | | Reply

Ah, to be young and healthy! “And phyyyyyy-sic-ly aaaa-bllllllle!”

Roxie April 9, 2014 at 2:46 pm | | Reply

Imagine the second line being sung “Ethel Merman style”! 🙂

Aussa Lorens April 9, 2014 at 4:35 pm | | Reply

This makes me think of summer camp (the feeling, at least) though we definitely didn’t have to do manual labor! What an interesting concept, but that’s awesome that you enjoyed it so. I loved your description of jumping off the cliff, through the air, and into the water. Even though I’m afraid of water, haha.

maurnas April 11, 2014 at 7:15 pm | | Reply

This isn’t exactly relevant but for some reason I got it in my head that cream of wheat was ground up cockroach bodies when I was a kid. I still can’t eat it to this day. It nauseates me.

5. Pete S.
    Pete S. April 13, 2015 at 6:29 pm | | Reply

I was actually thinking about this tonight and decided to see if I could find any mention of YCC. I was there, at Dutch John, in 1979. Our memories are very similar. The only other thing that sticks out in my mind was having to hike in to “rebuild” Little Hole (Hell) Trail. We were also assigned our duties (campgrounds, Spike, Little Hole, etc) by the week and not by the day.

Great memories your post brought back, especially the school down the street where we had breakfast every day, and the memories of cliff jumping at Mustang Ridge.

6. Keith Squires
    Keith Squires May 22, 2017 at 3:18 am | | Reply

Hello Jana,
    Thank you for your great story about your summer at YCC at Flaming Gorge. It brought back wonderful memories. I was just searching to see if I could find friends I made during my time there. I served at YCC Flaming Gorge in the summer of 1976. What year were you there? Thank you again for this post.

Keith S.