1. Sarah (est. 1975)
    Sarah (est. 1975) July 13, 2014 at 9:20 pm | | Reply

I’ve never been in a book club, so I have nothing to offer you there. However, I’m hung up on the Harlequin rejection letter. In particular:

““your story offers nothing really new or exciting” and “the characters are too close to stereotype and the plot is too contrived”).”

Um. Aren’t all romances written to a predetermined format? Aren’t they SUPPOSED to be that way? Fuck you, Harlequin.

2. lrconsiderer
    lrconsiderer July 14, 2014 at 12:16 am | | Reply

I’ve never joined a book club because…I don’t know. But I think I’d be very young. And I dunno if I’d find one outside working hours, either. I also hate the idea of having to read a book I don’t love. But now you’ve got me thinking. I also kindasorta resent having to spend facetime with people I might not choose, which is pretty sad, isn’t it?

Maybe I should find one and give it a try. In that 25th hour on the eighth day of the week, when I’ve finished writing my own book and stopped being so hooked into people online.

I’m glad you have a good club now though. And I couldn’t possibly tell you the best book I read this year – there are so many! One which has stuck with me really strongly though is ‘The Earth Hums in B-flat’ – that gave me such an EPIC book hangover…I came out of it not sure what was real any more, or whether I wanted it to be real any more…

3. Terri
    Terri July 14, 2014 at 8:52 am | | Reply

Book club not for this chick, not a joiner. I hate knowing that I have to be ‘somewhere’ at a given day or time. I do enough of that rubbish with work and family. I have occasionally put my toe outside of my comfort zone and did things like an after work bootcamp…which was a poor idea as that it dealt a colossal blow to my psyche when I realized that I was fatter and more out of shape than the fattest most out of shape person there :/
    I do, however, LOVE to read. I find myself going for rather large stretches when I am not reading. But when I do return to it, I do so with fervor! As for the best book this year…hmmm…rereading the entire works of Terry Brooks at the moment. His were of the first grown up books that I ever read and I was hooked back in ~ 1982-83ish. I am already 5 books in and I am loving revisiting. I love that even though the story rings familiar I am drawing different impressions from them the second time around. I am glad that I didn’t cave to the outside pressure of ‘why do you keep all these books if you’ve already read them’ mentality and kept them all. I always knew I would go back to them again and I have learned that some of my hardcovers that I have of his books are collectors items!
    I think the hardest part is actually finding the moments to read sometimes. Between work and taking care of business (ie being the husbands party girl and caretaker … yes I married a man child ) who has the time and or energy to sit down and read before sleep takes over?
    New friends? That’s a tough one. Not really interested. I am quite content on my own. I find it hard to depend on others and have been devastated in the past if a friendship didn’t pan out. I think the hardest part of the lone wolf mentality is what I mentioned from before, as in the not having an outlet…someone to talk to.

Roxie July 14, 2014 at 1:03 pm | | Reply

What’s it all come to in the end, a boog? A bloomin’ boog, when you could be out there, betraying a rich American widow, or sipping palm wine in Tahiti, before you’re too old, like me! Go parading, before it’s too late!

5. april
    april July 14, 2014 at 1:53 pm | | Reply

I’ve thought of joining a book club, but all the ones I’ve seen are “good for you books”. Serious books. I prefer my books to be “junk food”. I like to read books for fun. Trashy books, horror books, sci fi. I’m really into the current fantasy vampire/werewolves/fairy stuff they have right now. I generally dislike the serious discussion books they have in book clubs. So I read on my own 🙂

Michelle July 15, 2014 at 9:08 am | | Reply

I have never been in a book club…but I would totally join one for the right snacks. I’m a little nervous about being with a group of strangers because my mouth says what it wants to without my brain’s permission. Sometimes they are in cahoots and they think what I’m saying is hilarious.

but usually it’s not so much hilarious to strangers.

Aussa Lorens July 16, 2014 at 7:29 pm | | Reply

I’m impressed. Not sure I’d have the guts to go to a book club! I’ve thought about it but I’d be intimidated haha– really makes no sense but my brain is full of such contradictions.

8. lisarpetty
    lisarpetty July 18, 2014 at 6:31 am | | Reply

Jana,

I was in a book club when we moved from Florida to Fort Wayne, IN. Not only was I one of the youngest people in the group, but I was the only one who didn’t care for sports, hunting, or talking about the Bible. So, I didn’t fit in. 🙂

I’m with Sarah — all romance novels are unoriginal. I bet that was a form letter they sent you. Add werewolves and vampires to your story and it will sell.

I love your blog.

Lisa

maurnas July 20, 2014 at 2:23 am | | Reply

I really want to join a book club. But I am so anti-social. Oh, fuck it. Okay, Jana, I am going to join a book club. It is really stupid of me to have not done it already.

The Wizard of Oz series traumatized me as a kid. That shit was freaky.