Michelle July 24, 2014 at 8:10 am | | Reply

I WANT SCONES AND ROOTBEER! Damn, that sounds amazing.

Hmmmm…my mother was a non-cooking kind of mother. I grew up on kraft mac n cheese and fish sticks.

2. Maggie Wilson
    Maggie Wilson July 24, 2014 at 8:35 am | | Reply

I love deep fried food. Problem is, ya have to eat it. And we all know how THAT turns out. Just ask the bathroom scales. On second thought… don’t ask. I think you can figure it out. No pun on “figure”.

Great post. Love the family photo!

3. qwertygirl
    qwertygirl July 24, 2014 at 1:07 pm | | Reply

My grandmother (Dad’s mom) used to make pralines. Brown sugar and butter with pecans in them. Every time she’d come to visit, she’d make me a batch. I’ve had tons of store-bought pralines, but none were ever as good.

My mom’s mother used to send boxes of sweets at Christmas. She made peanut butter balls (like Reese’s peanut butter cups) but she put raisins in them (I hate raisins and they have no place in candy). She also made Twinkies–sponge cake with a sort of whipped cream in between two layers. They were OK, but I never had the heart to tell her I liked the crummy store-bought, endless shelf life ones better.

4. april
    april July 24, 2014 at 1:18 pm | | Reply

We call those “Chinese donuts” in our house. we take any of the cans of biscuits and deep fry them the same way. The Chinese buffet’s here make them too (or at least they taste and look the same) hence “Chinese donut”

I don’t remember my mom being much of a baker, to be honest. but there were 4 children (3 of them only a year apart) running around our house at the time.

5. Sarah (est. 1975)
    Sarah (est. 1975) July 24, 2014 at 3:25 pm | | Reply

Are you serious, talking about scones and root beer? *stomach gurgles* I want to go there. Now.

Roxie July 25, 2014 at 9:01 am | | Reply

My mom made double decker butter cookies with strawberry and apricot preserves in between the two decks! Mmmmmmmm!

maurnas July 30, 2014 at 6:23 pm | | Reply

I like fried anything. But fried dough is so miraculous! It’s like the whole is greater than the sum of it’s parts. I want some now.

maurnas July 31, 2014 at 6:20 pm | | Reply

I’m not sure where you live but I have this desire to drive all over the US and crash on my blogger connections couches. And then blog about it. Or get a book deal out of it. Anyone?