1. jaklumen
    jaklumen September 25, 2014 at 8:53 pm | | Reply

I’m a hugger. Not an A-frame, back-slapping, fake macho hugger, but a real hugger. Gentle, strong, warm.

But don’t take my word for it, necessarily– feel free to ask a few of my closest family and friends.

2. Kristine
    Kristine September 25, 2014 at 9:01 pm | | Reply

I feel/felt the same as you. I lived with my father growing up and there wasn’t the same touchy feely stuff at our house as there was at my friends’ houses. Now I find, ominously, that I have to force myself to hug my husband. I have been aiming for 6 seconds at a time… Small steps. Thx of sharing!

3. Terri
    Terri September 26, 2014 at 7:41 am | | Reply

My family are huggers…well, my immediate family anyways! I have only just recently realized that there are people out there that have an aversion to hugging. (I am in my 40’s and obviously clueless about some things! – I also just learned that there are individuals that can’t bear to have their peas touch their potatoes on the dinner plate! Who knew?!)
    I think this is what happened to you–>When we hug someone, oxytocin is released into our bodies by our pituitary gland, lowering both our heart rates and our cortisol levels. Cortisol is the hormone responsible for stress, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
    And not sure if you have heard of this–>http://www.nexthipstertrend.com/trends/snuggling-up-cuddling/
    I am happy to hear that you have a support system in place, sending warm fuzzies and even HUGE hugs your way!

4. eva
    eva September 26, 2014 at 8:51 am | | Reply

awwww – I FO want them to adopt and hug me and get hugs with their cute little dog! I’m glad you have such warm and wonderful friends to support and encourage you – you deserve nothing less!

Roxie September 26, 2014 at 10:33 am | | Reply

That’s adorable! I love their Doxie! I’m super-fat, so my hugs are warm and squishy! 🙂

6. Considerer
    Considerer September 26, 2014 at 10:34 am | | Reply

Oh I LOVE this!

I don’t really do hugs with friends so much (not beyond the brief, 2-second ‘how are ya?’ hug) but with family, I HUG. Husby and I can stand there for minutes, hugging. Likewise my Sis, or my Mum, or my WonderAunty. Long, sumptuous, snuggled-in hugs.

And with my bezzie, we hug and squeeze and rock and lift each other off the floor or…oh we are all OVER each other. If we’re sat together on a sofa, we’ll end up with our legs draped over the other person. It’s lovely.

I guess I have to really know and trust someone to hug them for a long time. I tend to be rather awkward and somehow full of elbows otherwise. But I do love hugs, when I’m safe with the person 🙂

Mike’s hugs sound AMAZING, and I love your description of them, and that they healed you, and that both guys were there for you when you needed them.