1. Sarah (est. 1975)
    Sarah (est. 1975) October 10, 2014 at 6:24 pm | | Reply

I say be cautious of online dating. It can get to be a bit of a dark and disturbing rabbit hole. What’s worse is that you start to think it’s THE ONLY WAY – and it isn’t, it really isn’t. Try it a few times, see what you think, but if you start to get a bad vibe off of it, I say bail.

2. Kristine
    Kristine October 11, 2014 at 4:54 am | | Reply

Jana, I worked at Lavalife for many years as the brand manager. I would hear the calls of people who got married and the people who showed up to find out the man they were attracted to was a woman. I thought the phone system was better for several reasons:
    1. I is easier to craft something that may not really be you when you have a delete button.
    2. You call tell by the cadence on someone’s voice whether you can sit through dinner with them.
    3. You can tell when people who are lying by the speed/pitch of their voice.
    I agree with Sarah that it is not the only way but it is a good way. I have met hundreds of happily married people who met on dating lines. And let’s face it, it is better to search the field in your jammies than in heels!
    Good luck!

3. Considerer
    Considerer October 11, 2014 at 6:46 am | | Reply

Be careful, but date whenever you feel ready again.

I was never attracted to Husby’s looks. But his character *got* me on the very first day we met in person.

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he could say the same thing, so we’re a good match. I just need to sort my character out.

I’m glad you had angels to come and help with your car. That’s awesome.

4. Annie
    Annie October 11, 2014 at 6:10 pm | | Reply

Okay, first of all, I LOOOOOVE “Married At First Sight”. I also LOOOOOVE Doug and Jamie. (Seriously, how cute are they?)

Secondly, I am nowhere near being ready to date. However, if and when I am, I will avoid dating websites like the plague. I just… can’t. Maybe I have an unreasonable suspicion of people on dating websites, but I just don’t like the fact that it is SO EASY to be deceitful about oneself when there’s a screen and possibly hundreds of miles separating you from the person you’re talking to. You never really know what you might get, you know? Plus, add to that the fact that I was easily deceived by a man I was actually married to and living with and… yeah, dating websites are not for me. If you do decide to look for a relationship via the internet, just be very cautious and careful. You never know what you might find…

5. Gunmetal Geisha
    Gunmetal Geisha October 12, 2014 at 12:22 pm | | Reply

This post touches me on multiple levels. It’s unabashedly honest and deeply human in the ways that make being human special and poignant. You already know a little about my own thoughts about dating, and separate from that, the attitude I seek to cultivate in myself regarding humanity. You’ve managed to cover both in this post, and I want to thank you for writing it.

6. Mel
    Mel October 13, 2014 at 11:44 am | | Reply

Similar, but different path after having been with my ex from the time i was 16 until I left him at nearly 40. Unbelievably intimidating to figure out this “dating” thing.. and a few months into it I met a lovely man who was NOTHING I thought I wanted except that he also wanted just a casual relationship and was not prepared for anything serious and he made me laugh. PERFECT as I intended to stay single for a good long time but definitely wanted some companionship now and again. Oops… despite all intentions to the contrary, it rather quickly became a whole lot more lol. I couldn’t be happier, but I think it really helped that we went into it just planning to enjoy each other’s company without worrying about any “next step”or where it was going. We’ve been together over a year and a half now and I can’t imagine wanting anything else.

Just keep those options open Jana… even the guys that I met who were DEFINITELY wrong, were an education in figuring out who I was and who I needed

7. whocares
    whocares October 15, 2014 at 12:49 pm | | Reply

It took me a few tries after my big breakup (a 13 year thing).

I got bruised up pretty bad my first time out. Everybody warned me it would happen — that first one after the big breakup — apparently that one is usually a doozie. “A rebound.” “An attempt at finding a replacement for the ex…” blahblah

Actually, for me, it was the online dating thing that finally worked out.

Aussa Lorens October 20, 2014 at 5:13 pm | | Reply

Ooookay so I met The Boyfran/Feyonce/Alex on EHarmony! Of course, if you ask him he will tell you we met “out.”

I saw him on my matches and was like “eh.” I dated some assholes and weirdos, eventually decided to let this guy take me out, despite his inability to woo via the interwebs. And obviously you know the ending: pre-wedded bliss etc. whatever.

All that to say– definitely give these guys a shot. If you’re just slightly intrigued by some aspect of their personality GIVE THEM A CHANCE! AH! I am such a huge believer of this. I have so many girlfriends who date the douchiest hunks.

Anywayyyyyys looking forward to hearing your updates 🙂