1. qwertygirl
    qwertygirl March 18, 2015 at 9:03 pm | | Reply

I hated my name, and wanted to be named Abigail. I’m a big fan of traditional names, traditionally spelled. When I tell people what my kids’ names are, they say things like, “What parish do you belong to?” and, “You must be Catholic.” (We are not Catholic.) But I live in the Land of the Hipster, so I run across children named after trees, states of being, or spelled highly phonetically. Which is why my kids have in their classes a child named Madrona, one named Free, and one named Ahlaynah. I wish I was making that up.

2. michelle
    michelle March 19, 2015 at 6:25 am | | Reply

I worked with a girl who had the same name as me but spelled it Micheli. Then she would get upset when people pronounced it ‘Michelley’. She had a daughter that she name…and I am not kidding…. Exyaviah

3. Kristine
    Kristine March 19, 2015 at 7:29 am | | Reply

I didn’t like my name because it was spelled ‘wrong’. In Finn though there are no Cs so now I get it. I always wanted to be my middle name but nobody but my grandma ever called me that. I suppose I wanted to be that name because my grandma called me that and she was amazing! My daughter now bears that name so it came full circle.

4. eva
    eva March 19, 2015 at 9:37 am | | Reply

Ha ha! I love these name lists! My husband chimed in with some real winners for our son like;
    Neo (too much Matrix)
    Gnarly
    Argyle Scotland (we are not Scottish)
    Thor (we are not Vikings)
    there were more but I cut him off at the pass!

5. Annie
    Annie March 19, 2015 at 10:13 am | | Reply

UM… SHUT UP. I thought I had come across some weird names during my time as a teacher. They PALE in comparison to the names on this list. WHAT IS WRONG WITH NORMAL NAMES?! NOTHING. *sigh* I’d laugh if I weren’t so incensed by the stupidity of some people… (Okay, actually I DID laugh, but now I’m just mad. Thanks, Jana. Thanks a LOT.) 😉

6. Considerer
    Considerer March 19, 2015 at 11:31 am | | Reply

HA! I had a few bizarre names come through the nursery where I worked. I think my favourites were Angel, Bailey, Grey, Tallulah, Dontae and Elio.

I never liked my name. In school, all the girls wanted to be called Jessica – no idea why; it’s just quite a pretty name, I think.

Not sure what I’d prefer to be called now…

What IS your second daughter’s name then?

7. Cherron
    Cherron March 19, 2015 at 2:43 pm | | Reply

Every now and then, a babysitting request comes up for a family who named their daughter Ruby Kitten, and their son Benny Danger (I think that’s the first name–I can’t quite recall, and it’s obviously that middle name that sticks out).

Sandy Ramsey March 21, 2015 at 8:33 pm | | Reply

Jesus! Those poor kids!

I never liked my name either. I always wanted it to be Bridget or Jessica. Don’t ask me why….