1. lrconsiderer
    lrconsiderer May 12, 2015 at 12:11 am | | Reply

And every one of those pics is in glorious focus.

I’m so glad you went and that you had a lovely time. YAY! Here’s to kicking social anxiety in the butt!

Er…depending on the situation (mine’s the stupid kind of anxiety where I can be fine doing anything at all, and then something utterly random will get me feeling all doomy and like I’m utterly useless/worthless/horrible/completely no-good and can’t do it – even things I’ve done a hundred times before, which is ridiculous and annoying), I might just soldier on very quietly, or cancel, or cry. Or a combination.

And I must, must, must remember to take my meds or life becomes rapidly unlivable.

2. Kristine @ MumRevised
    Kristine @ MumRevised May 12, 2015 at 4:23 am | | Reply

Beautiful photos Jana. Glad you made it.

Michelle May 12, 2015 at 4:25 am | | Reply

Beautiful pictures! Yay for you! You did it.

I am a walking ball of social anxiety. I have to psych myself for going into work every day. It’s exhausting.

4. Sheila
    Sheila May 12, 2015 at 10:06 am | | Reply

Giving it a name sounds so clinical. : 0 I prefer to call it introverted. Same tendencies ( I think). It is really a matter of making myself go (happen to be married to an extrovert). It is exhausting, though.

5. Spoken Like A True Nut
    Spoken Like A True Nut May 12, 2015 at 1:36 pm | | Reply

Well done, you!

I have terrible social anxiety, even around people I’ve known for years. I make myself to go social functions because I know I’ll enjoy myself in the moment, but I’m a big ball of stress before and after. I was a friend’s maid of honor once and I still occasionally find myself worrying about whether my speech was good enough, even though I know darn well it was because the bride was dabbing away happy tears by the end.

I soldier on and try to brush off any lingering worries as best I can, but it’s a constant work in progress.

At the same time, I’m somewhat grateful to be so content with my own company. I know a few people who absolutely NEED a bustling social life to feel whole, and I think that might actually be worse.

6. Roshni
    Roshni May 12, 2015 at 4:23 pm | | Reply

I’m a Gemini too and you’ll be happy to know that I frequently have these conversations with myself! I’m so glad Reasonable Jana won because those pictures are awesome!!

7. Steph
    Steph May 14, 2015 at 6:54 am | | Reply

I have social anxiety and general anxiety. Like you, I can do fine once I’m THERE, whether it’s a party or the grocery store, but getting there is a big problem. I worry about seeing people and talking to people and then when I get there I feel better. But also with the general anxiety, I totally freak out about things like having a wreck while I’m driving and I white-knuckle it the whole way, or about someone creeping around my house, and I can’t answer the phone, opening mail makes me sick, a knock at the door unexpectedly will push me over the edge, I’m scared of walking outside, being up high, the ocean, people looking at me, oh Lord the list goes on and on. I’m basically just a mess. My coping strategies are meds, concentrating on my breathing, and trying to distract myself. Also not doing scary things. Like answering the phone.

Sandy Ramsey May 16, 2015 at 4:34 am | | Reply

Wow! Those photos…gorgeous! Aren’t you glad you went? I am. I struggle with the same exact issue. My husband has a ton of business events and I only attend a few…the ones that are in awesome tropical locations :0 and a fe others. I hate the social events. If I still drank it would be much easier….but then it would be awful for a bunch of other reasons. So, my point is…I get it. I really do.

9. Inion N. Mathair
    Inion N. Mathair May 18, 2015 at 6:55 pm | | Reply

I can completely relate to your social anxiety, Jana. I’m a Gemini as well so I have my moments when I’m at work in the midst of the public and be completely fine and others (like readings and book events) where I’m gripped with fear and anxiety. I’ve never been a social butterfly, quite to the contrary, I’m more of a recluse and prefer to just hole up in my apartment and write like the miserly old author I am. 😉 Thank my lucky stars that I’m in a partnership with Mathair, who is very comfortable interacting with people, or we’d never sell a book or make public appearances. haha Once the events are over, I’m grateful that she has drug me to them and told me to put on a happy face, but the anticipation of…. leaves me with an ailing stomach and hair-pulling stress. Great post, Jana. Looking forward to the next. 🙂

10. beth teliho
    beth teliho May 18, 2015 at 8:10 pm | | Reply

GURL. I so get this. One of my very first posts was about anxiety. It really is a BITCH. It steals you away from experiences. I still get nervous going up to the school to have lunch with my kid because people. I’m always worried I look stupid, or will say the wrong thing, or just look like an idiot. The weird thing is – I always do fine! What the hell am I still worried about after all these years? I’m way more judgmental of myself than anyone else is. When I’m being social on a more consistent basis, it’s easier. But when it’s been awhile? It’s SO hard to go.

I’m proud of you and inspired by the fact that you WENT. You did it! That’s huge. The photos are gorgeous too. *hugs*

11. maggiemayat50
    maggiemayat50 June 25, 2015 at 7:11 am | | Reply

I smiled at this post because I had a similar dialogue when I decided to join a hiking group. All my fears/nervousness were unnecessary. The group was inclusive and friendly. I had a fabulous time and met the Hunter, my love, through this group. Congratulations!