Michelle August 27, 2015 at 7:52 am | | Reply

OMG I forgot about those stickers! I LOVED THOSE STICKERS! What a blast this was.

2. Spoken Like A True Nut
    Spoken Like A True Nut August 27, 2015 at 11:41 am | | Reply

I remember this one time my mom and I found giant, 1 meter long pixie sticks at a party supply store. Heaven is real, people, and it’s a yard of flavored sugar in a tube.

3. Dana
    Dana August 27, 2015 at 12:02 pm | | Reply

Was your grandma the one who turned him in?

4. lrconsiderer
    lrconsiderer August 27, 2015 at 2:56 pm | | Reply

Wow! So did he use the coupons on his own shopping? We don’t have coupon culture here, so I really don’t know how it works.

Flying saucers are the best – two coloured rice-paper hemispheres glued together with magic, with *just enough* sherbet inside

5. Claire
    Claire August 31, 2015 at 8:41 am | | Reply

Being from a tiny squished country like the UK, it’s so fascinating to read about such a remote community. I was about to say that I drove across Idaho once, but I’ve just remembered that it was Indiana I drove across. I loved your fleeting brush with the criminal underworld – coupon fraud doesn’t seem like a big enough deal to warrant an arrest surely?! – and hope you managed to return to the straight and narrow okay 😉

6. sandracharrondotcom
    sandracharrondotcom September 3, 2015 at 7:30 am | | Reply

Oh thank goodness the Candy Man was actually that…a man who sold candy….for a moment I wasn’t sure how this story was going to end. It is a sad ending nonetheless…No more free candy. Boo!

7. That Shameless Hussy
    That Shameless Hussy September 9, 2015 at 4:13 pm | | Reply

Ah, The chunky bar. Yum. We had a store called Colonel C.M. Sweets who stocked stuff like that. My thing has always been cotton candy, popcorn balls and anything chocolate. 🙂

8. Inion N. Mathair
    Inion N. Mathair October 29, 2015 at 5:16 pm | | Reply

Great freaking post, Jana. It was like taking a time machine back to childhood!! Like you, I grew up in a small town. No, that’s not right, I grew up in what is affectionately referred to in the south as…”The Sticks.” Population 585, this included the farm animals, lol 😉 Our place was called a “country store” (Jacks). It was a dilapidated shack which contained, soda, beer, cigarettes, milk, bread, butter, eggs, one isle of can coods, candy & bait. Yes you heard it….BAIT. My fav candy then (when I had strong teeth) was called chick-o-sticks. 5 cents a stick it was absolute Heaven and a sugar rush unmatched!! That & his infamous pickles which I was sure had been made during the civil war, were my favorite. Luv this post, girl and sharing it now!!! 😉 xoxo <3